Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Decorating and all the rest

I just got back from jogging. Of course, let's be honest-- "jogging" is a strong word. A 12 minute mile is my current pace. I have never been a big jogger, but I'm 36 now, so I should be trying new things. Yoga, 1993 Reebok Step Aerobics, Richard Simmons, and hardcore-long-distance walking... those are my things.


Today though, was an accomplishment. I had surgery last week. "Surgery" is a word that looms in the air and inevitably, the next question in one's mind is "What kind?" -- but people, no matter people, are always too polite to ask. If it isn't offered, then the word hangs, waiting to be answered.

I debated about whether saying anything about the surgery on my blog, not because of the surgery, rather the surgery itself has to do with, ahem, parts that are not discussed in good company. Insert words that are too big for auto-correct here. A D&C and ablation were scheduled for last Tuesday in the hopes of preventing a hysterectomy.

Say whaaaaaaa


One week into the expected six week recovery and I have to say that this recovery is better than anything I have experienced over the last year. It's like finally admitting defeat before back surgery and realizing how much pain you were really in. Or, looking back on a part of your life and thinking, "I didn't realize how bad it was until I found out how good it could be."

Let's not dwell on one's nether regions though, kay? This is about what's been going on lately, besides that. {Of course, if you have any questions-- drop me a line-- and I will happily tell you what I know}


Before I went under the knife, we decorated the Christmas tree. After spending $180 on two trees and two wreaths and yelling at the very excited kids far too much, they finally got to start pulling out the ornaments and putting them on the tree.

Somewhere along the line, plastic ornaments must have been on sale. We have so many of them and I have no idea where they came from. NONE. Of course, they came from Target- but when they were purchased... beats me.


But, thankyouJesus, we had them. Fuzzy's favorite toy is a ball and now, apparently, a ball with a  string attached to it that hangs at the bottom of the tree. He pulls it off, throws it, laughs, runs to pick it up, and starts over again. At present, 8 ornaments have hit the trash. Imagine what that number would be if we put the real ones on the tree in the den?

The tree in the living room has the sterling flatware and hand blown ornaments. THAT tree is behind lock and key this year. As presents start piling up under it, a fence will be built around it.

Bless Fuzzy. "He's all boy," as they say.

The house has a fine layer of glitter intermixed with dust over all surfaces and the children are constantly on the prowl for the funny elf, Gurgle, who made his appearance not too long ago.

--
When this kid smiles-- I don't know what she does, but this is what happens:


When she doesn't think I'm going to take a picture and is actually smiling, something so much more beautiful happens:


My iPhoto software updated a few months ago and it now mirrors how to edit pictures on my phone. With those two pictures above of Birdie, I had to put the second one in black/white because the color balance was crazy off. It's not me, it's not my camera- it's the dang software. Looks like someone is going to be in the market for spending money in the near future. PLTTHHHHH



Fuzzy was all about decorating the tree. And Birdie found a "Gurgle Stocking" -- that is actually my grandfather's stocking that he used to hang on his mantle next to my grandmother's from when we were all small.

It makes me smile.



We leave this week for a Disney Cruise, compliments of my parents. Instead of buying a bunch of things for all of us, they spring for the experience and the memories, which we are all very appreciative of.

Brother and SIL are flying with Niece and Nephew. Let's all pause for a moment of prayer for their sanity.

We're driving.

My cousin is coming in town next week. I don't talk much about this one as he's the baby of the family-- all 26 years of him-- and has lived everywhere from South Georgia to Western Louisiana and many places in between. He's the head golf pro in Memphis, having graduated from Mississippi State a few years ago. The kid is going places. Lucky for me, he's going to swing by Hometown for a few days on the way.

And we're going off the reservation for Christmas brunch this year-- sausage gravy and biscuits. YUM! We don't want pucks to go with our luscious homemade gravy, I'll be picking those up from the local hamburger shack. Best biscuits this side of the Mississippi.



In a nutshell, that's us of recent. There's a kitchen that needs to be cleaned as I made flour yesterday. But, that's another story.

Thoughts on which photo software would be appreciated.


No comments: