Monday, January 18, 2016

If he knew me... he'd kill me.

All these years later, I still have those old love notes. I told Husband about them and we laughed at how innocent and down right silly they were. The few friends I have shown them to have all said the same thing: His penmanship is impeccable. I am going to protect the innocent, because-- somewhere out there is a box of folded paper with my penmanship scratched on those lines and that cannot be denied.

But, it is fun to look at these and both laugh and smile:

----

Wife,

I am glad you had fun last night, I did too. I am in Horticulture right now and we are watching a very boring video on "ground cover." I think I will be coming to Hometown a lot in the next couple of weeks for all the Social Christmas parties. Are you going to Charleston in two weeks? When are you going to Atlanta? I want to go to Athens and stay with "Bob" sometime soon and we will go to my grandparents at Lake Sinclair the weekend after Christmas but besides that I should be around. I hope you will be able to come to the game Friday night. It should be fun. Our record is now 11-1. Thanks for my shoe.  I don't know quite what to think about it, but I always like getting things in the mail. It is kind of funny how our postal system can sometimes fail to get a simple letter to someone, but they can deliver a shoe, yes.... a shoe. Well it is about time to go (yes, I spent most of the class period on this letter), so I will just talk to you later.

That Guy

----

Wife,

I am looking forward to the Christmas dance. Is Scott going to it? We should have a lot of fun (as usual) Well, the bell is about to ring to go to fourth period- see you later today!

That Guy

35 year old me commentary: {Scott... I would end up going on a few dates with him in my twenties. Whoopsie}

----

Wife,

I just got finished taking an anatomy test and I have about ten minutes left in class, so I thought I would be nice and write you a letter. I am glad that you are coming to the game tonight. It should be packed. Our whole town and school are pumped about this game. We are playing a team from Albany. I think their record is 10-2. (ours is 11-1) Our steaks were better than I thought they would be. (at lunch) I had two. This is the first time I have been filled up by a school lunch. When I got to fourth period after lunch I wanted to lay down and take a nap, but we had a test instead. Well... it is about time to go... so I will see you tonight!

That Guy

----

Wife,

I am in fifth period (Horticulture) and I wanted to write you to let you know I was thinking of you. It is such a nice day and I am glad you are coming to see me! I am glad the weather is finally warming up. I hope you get to play Friday in the game because I want to come see you in action. I think you would be cute running up and down the field. Well, the teacher just called out some work for us to do, I better let you go!

That Guy

35 year old me commentary: I was on the inaugural girls' soccer team at my high school and lettered my first year. Never the best player; I had a lot of fun.


----

Wife,

I am glad I got to see you so much this week. I am in Anatomy and we are learning the bones in the body. We have a skeleton and it is life-size. No... it is not real, it is made of plastic, but it costs $1,000. Its name is Skippy! I know that your grandparents are coming down this weekend so you most likely can not come down so I will not mind coming to see you in Augusta. We just for finished watching a laserdisc. The bell just rang.

That Guy

----

Wife,

I want to make an attempt to write a response to the letter I just received from you. I want to thank you for the letter first. That is the best thing you could have done. I am glad that you are able to trust me. I am glad you are able to write me poems (and give them to me).........

35 year old me commentary: Woah. Wait. I wrote poems.... AND GAVE THEM AWAY?! Geez, 17 year old me... what were you thinking?! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?! Please don't find those poems. Please tell me you burned them or threw them away or something other than put them in a box to be found almost two decades later.

Even if we only last until tomorrow, I want you to know you will always have a special place in my heart.

That Guy

35 year old me commentary: {We wouldn't last more than another sixty-ish days.}

----

Wife, 

I am being distracted right now, but I am trying to write you anyway. My pastel drawing of a car got second place in an art show. I won $50! They announced it on the morning announcements. The bell is about to ring, so I better let you go!

That Guy

----

Wife,

I just finished my test in Anatomy and had a few minutes to write you a note. I really am proud of you for your essay. I was sitting English the other day and I thought to myself as we were reading Milton and Wordsworth that you could easily write as good as them. I think you will be a great writer one day. I have not read much of your writing, but what I have sounds pretty good! 

That Guy

35 year old me commentary: {I used to be terrible embarrassed of my writing. Loved to do it- hated to show it. The essay he is referencing won first place in a national contest. Something about 'reading being life's silver lining' ... I think. My teacher submitted it on my behalf.}

----

There are other notes from a variety of people and places in my life, but high school seems to be the most fun and the most innocent ones to share. Life gets sticky and complicated as we grow up and as we move on they become less funny to look back on.

Husband and I looked at my old pictures and read these old notes last night and he said the sweetest thing to me, "It seems like you had a beautiful childhood. It looked like it would have been amazing to be you growing up. I am glad I met you as an adult."

And it was a beautiful youth. It really was.




No comments: