Monday, September 29, 2014

Cornbread, vastly improved

I posted a cornbread recipe a long time ago... and accidentally said a tablespoon of salt instead of a teaspoon. Yuck. Last night, we had friends over. The house was a disaster- mostly due to the shortest person in the house. We stepped over tupperware lids, outgrown shoes- none of which matched, and a random assortment of dollhouse furniture and cheap jewelry.

Husband grew up with half the couple- they were classmates from preschool until senior year of high school before reuniting in medical school. He, his wonderful wife, and two kids came over last night to watch football, eat chili, and let the kids run around the pool. No one fell in, but his daughter thought about "accidentally" hitting the water more than once. She was smart enough to take her shoes off, thus getting caught in the process.

Right-- Cornbread.

I have mentioned my cookbook before and how I adore it. Realizing I need cornbread and wanting to branch out from the old go-to recipe, I went back to The Book and found Heaven.

Okay, that's an exaggeration.  (who knew exaggeration had 2 g's in it? Not me- thankyouverymuch, autocorrect) I made two batches last night- not out of need, rather out of mistake. Why baking powder and baking soda get mixed up so often is beyond me.

Batch one-- with the soda and powder-- was great! It had more crumb than the correct version, but was good- nonetheless. Batch two-- ah-mazing. I bring you Buttery Cornbread, straight from The Book:

Buttery Cornbread

1 1/3 cups coarse stone-ground yellow cornmeal (I didn't have coarse- so I used the regular grain and made it a scant 1 1/3 cup)
1 cup AP flour
1/4 cup sugar (before you turn your nose up at the sugar- this is not a sweet cornbread)
2 teaspoons baking powder (and if you need more crumble- toss in 2 tsp of baking soda...)
3/4 tsp coarse salt (I didn't have unsalted butter- so I only added 1/4 tsp salt)
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
9 tablespoons (1 stick plus 1 tablespoon) unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk;  beaten to blend

Butter 9 inch loaf pan. Mix cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Add buttermilk, melted butter, and beaten eggs. Stir with wooden spoon until well blended. Let mixture stand 30 minutes to absorb liquid. Preheat oven to 375.

Pour into prepared pan. Bake bread until browned around edges and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. (Mine was ready at 35 minutes) Cool bread in pan 5 minutes. Turn bread out onto rack.

As Dorothy would say, "Do write and speak of your mistakes."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! Almost EXACTLY "my" (my mother's) cornbread recipe! Never fails. :-) --nb

Sarah O'Neill said...

I plan to try it out tbis weekend 😉👍