Friday, February 21, 2014

Plated

I like to cook. This is shocking to the daily readers, I know. But, in all honesty- I like the whole experience of dinner. Planning, purchasing, preparing, setting the table, sitting down, and enjoying. The clean-up? That's my least favorite part and I try to tell Husband that since I cooked, he cleans.

He says that when the mess is this large- I should cook and clean. 

I remind him that only the best cooks make the best messes. 

Recently, Plated popped up in my Facebook feed and I gave it a click. With the offer of four free plates with the purchase of four plates, I thought it might be worth the investment to give it a try. A few days later, my first batch of plates arrived and I was hooked. Since I was unsure as to what I was receiving, I thought it might be nice of me to walk you through the process....

After running errands, I saw this on my front porch:


It was warm that day; the temperature alludes me. But, the box is so well packaged- the items were still frozen. Opening the box...


Was a friendly reminder of what I purchased.



I unpack all my ingredients and set the recipe cards aside. Realizing that Husband was on call and then we were heading out of town, I toss the shrimp and haddock in the freezer- they will be cooked in several days. 

Game day... my BIL is coming over for supper. I knew we would have more than enough with the two plates I was cooking, so I decided to show my mad skills and cook a Plated dinner all at once. 

I check out my recipe card:



And get to work.

I had some Publix shrimp in my fridge and thought that more shrimp is always better than less shrimp, so I added those to the mix. The quality of ingredients from Plated is far superior to what I would have purchased at the regular grocery store. For instance, the shrimp: 

Plated shrimp on top, Publix shrimp on the bottom

The directions and ingredients are all well written and well marked. In the words from "A Few Good Men" -- Crystal Clear.





After pouring the chef's glass, I set to work:


 I diced a shallot, garlic, chopped broccoli, and did everything on the card.


Everything was pre-measured for me, so if I was not chopping something, I was opening a container and pouring it in. Plated even provides things like butter and wine. As if this house would be out of either! Typically, all that is needed from my kitchen is salt, pepper, and olive oil.


After whipping up the shrimp scampi-- and making it look incredibly easy, I served our dinner for three with enough left overs for Husband and I to eat dinner again the next night. 



Plated gets me out of my box, out of the rut we all get into when we cook the same things over and over. I would never, in a million years, made Salmon Teriyaki with hoisin sauce and a homemade ginger salad dressing. But, I did. And it was good. (and let's be honest-- I had no idea what hoisin sauce was until Plated.)


Is it expensive? Yes. I'll be the first to say that. It is about $11 a plate. AND you have to prepare it yourself. That being said- there are leftovers, it's good, it's fresh, and it really makes you...


Give it a go! Impress your spouse or your BIL. You won't be disappointed. Scouts honor. Trust me, I worked for the Boy Scouts.

As Dorothy says, "Do write and speak of your mistakes."

No comments: