Homemade Play-Dough

Not to be confused with store bought play-DOH.

School has been cancelled again this week for threat of snow and cold weather. I finally understand where those old folks come from when they say, "I remember walking to school... in the snow... uphill... both ways... with no socks..." Because I remember when one of the moms who drove carpool came to pick us up. I remember she was the one that drove because she grew up "up North."

Because it apparently snows more up there.

We in our blue and white uniforms were called out of our respective classes to see Mrs. K in her full length mink and leather gloves with the station wagon still running and the snow coming down in sheets. We hopped in and she scraped the ice off the windshield before depositing us back in the neighborhood. As I watched her scrape the ice- that's when I knew she knew what she was doing.

So far, 2014 has not impressed me. It's been cold, super cold, but not freeze water in mid-air, cold. School has been canceled 4 times already and it's not even February. Yesterday, it was 71 and beautiful. Today? It's 41.

And school is canceled. Again. Because a wintry mix might head this way if the starts align just so. It was 71 yesterday. It was 68 before that. It has not been cold enough for the ground to be that cold for it to turn into anything other than a pain in my neck. (I'm speaking high and mighty- if you can't tell. Because I lived Up North for three years and now consider myself a professional in all things winter, traffic, and DC.)

Don't the parenting gods know that Tuesday and Thursday is when I rejuvenate myself for the other days?

I digress...

I skipped the run on the grocery store yesterday because we have plenty of bread- which is deemed dire snow food- but did wake up in a panic this morning that I only had one bottle of wine. Scooting off to the store before the family was awake, I started thinking about what we were going to do trapped inside on this kinda cold day.

Sans the grocery store, nothing is open.

The parenting gods are laughing.

LMC and I set in to make play-dough.

Homemade play dough is crazy easy and kinda fun. LMC got to pick out the colors she wanted and sprinkle in the glitter. We divided it up into three balls and I rolled the food coloring into each one while she told me how I was doing it wrong.

The recipe and idea came from Pinterest. Give it a go. Pat yourself on the back that you are working towards being an MOTY. And pour yourself a glass of wine at 5 that you survived this day.



Play Dough

1 cup water
2 T. coconut oil (the recipe calls for veggie oil, but I didn't have any. Coconut oil... I had that, but veggie oil? Notsomuch)
1 cup AP flour
1/4 CUP salt (yes, cup)
2 T. cream of tartar
gel-based food dye (no idea what this is, but I used the McCormick container of four colors. My hands are a little rainbow-y, but the play dough came out fine)

Combine all the ingredients together and whisk over medium heat until smooth. At some point, switch to a heavy spoon/spatula and keep stirring until a dough forms. Remove from heat, divide into balls and color each ball as you see fit.

An old teacher of LMC's used to add different spices and extracts to her play dough. It made it appealing to both the hands and the nose. Using the coconut oil, it actually kept my hands from drying out.

I look like I know what I am doing.

As Dorothy says, "Do write and speak of your mistakes."

Comments

Jessica C. said…
You know, you can just put the food dye in while it's still liquidy and that way you don't get it on your hands! Works great - we've got red and yellow out right now in brilliant hues with nary a dyed finger in sight.