Jerk

Mom ordered an insane amount of spices online not too long ago and discovered that she had every spice she would ever need to make anything under the sun. After pickling this and brining that she researched jerk marinades. 

It sat in the fridge and we she pulled out this small bowl of black goo that she swore up and down was amazing. We brushed a little on some chicken breasts and let them sit for about an hour. After going on the grill and hitting our hamburger buns, I have to say... 

WOW.

Wanting to copy this recipe, I called to ask what was in it. My dad answered the phone.

me: "Do you know what's in mom's jerk marinade?"
dad: "yeah."
me: "Can you tell me?" my pen is in the air; my paper on the counter.
dad: "A bunch of stuff."
me: "Like what?"
dad: "Oh, all kinds of things."
me: "Like what?"
dad: "Good stuff."
me: "So, you don't know?"
dad: "No. I know, it has jerk spices."
me: "Like what?"
dad: "Isn't it so good?"
me: "I know, I want to make some up here. What's in it?"
dad: "All kinds of good things."
me: "Is mom there?" (and he wonders why I was getting frustrated.)
dad: "No, she's at the Y. I can tell you what's in it, though."
me: "Okay, shoot...." My pen dangling in the air
dad: "Well, she got it off the internet."
me: "Okay, I can work with that. Which website?"
dad: "I'm not sure, just google it and use the first one."
me: "Google what? jerk marinade?"
dad: "Yeah, that'll work.... of course, she tweaked it a little bit."
me: "How'd she tweak it?"
dad: "She just added a little more stuff. You know how she does."
me: "So, dad. You don't know what's in it, do you?"
dad: "Sure I do. Listen, honey. Someone's calling in on call waiting."

And he wonders why I say I can't get a straight answer out of him.

I call mom.

me: "Hey Mama, what's in your jerk marinade?"
mom: "Oh, geez. Um, I have the recipe printed and it's at home, but I can go ahead and tell you that you don't have half the stuff in your cabinet."
me: "okay, I can work with that. Thanks"

me and mom-- we speak the same language.

A little google research and the reminder that I have an insane amount of spices lead to a few phone calls back home. I created something- not nearly as great as what mama has in the back of her fridge, but it is a close second.

Allow me to share.....

2 teaspoons thyme
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla sugar (it's easier to reach than the sugar)
1 teaspoon allspice
2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (the original called for 1/2 tsp, but I really like nutmeg)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon Srirachi (more if you are brave, I was chicken)
2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 tablespoon cider or white vinegar


Combine everything with a whisk and mix in a little more veggie oil to thin it... maybe three tablespoons? maybe five? The black goo is amazing and is good on chicken and steaks. I have not tried it on fish yet, but that does not mean I will not. 

As Dorothy would say, "Do write and speak of your mistakes."

Comments