Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Dixie.

Last Christmas, we bought LMC a Disney CD for the car. It has all kinds of kid songs on it, some of which the likes of this generation have never heard.

Like.... Ten Little Indians.
          Or Jimmy Crack Corn.
                   But, better still - Dixie is #26.

The cd has made its way into the player and out again. Yesterday, I found it stashed in the glove box and turned it on for LMC to hear Pop Goes the Weasel, her current favorite. #25 ended and #26 began.

"Mama, are they singing about my Pixie?" - my mom is Pixie.
"No honey, they're singing about Dixie. Daaah Daaah. Like Daddy."
"Oh."

a long pause.

"Mama, what's Dixie?"

I slam on brakes, jerk the car over to the side of the road, and whip around to stare at her in astonishment... in my mind. In reality, I kept driving. This is DC and it would be hard to explain.

What child of our generation and any generation before us does not know what Dixie is? Or rather, where? Have I failed as a mother? What have I been teaching this child to not tell her about God's country. Who cares where the fork goes in a place setting if she does not about the land of milk and honey, rather cotton and tobacco. What does it matter the sterling pattern of her best friend's grandmother- if the word 'antebellum' is nothing more than a spelling bee stumper and not a well used adjective.

I have failed as a mother.

Failed.

The land where words are spoken slowly and savored. Church is on Sunday... and Wednesday. Mothers are eternally young as the humidity keeps their skin soft and their hair big. Dixie is more than just a confederate flag, it's a way of life and takes in everything and everyone from the farm fields of Doerun and Cassville to the metropolis of Birmingham and Atlanta.

Somewhere along the way, Dixie became a four letter word, being replaced with 'The South,' or rather- any number of states that encompass the land where ladies carry lipstick and the shared flask into the college football game, the land of gentility and being a feminist is not in direct contrast to being feminine.

"So, darling- what's Dixie, you ask? Dixie is Home."


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right you are! Y'all need to get Home as soon as possible. -- nb

Rod and Alex - aka: "Rolex" said...

Aww I love this!
When I was a wee little baby, my mom used to play Joan Baez's "The Night they Drove old Dixie Down" to put me to sleep. It's a melancholic song-but I've always loved it. And even though I'm a California girl….I've always known about Dixie. :)