Apple Pickin

We went apple pickin' on Monday. The rain held off and three sets of feet ran up and down the farm looking at goats, chickens, cows, and pumpkins. I gave them a lesson on the different types of ducks we saw (mallards and teals were on the docket that day. Thankyouverymuch, Duck Hunter Husband.) LMC told her friends that her Woody has chickens.


After venturing around the farm area, we had lunch and made our way to the major goal of the day--


Picking APPLES! Mama Bits introduced me to my first full apple. And I almost ate the whole thing. Almost. Until I was picking apples and asked her what "that" was. An apple I just picked (and not eaten, thank goodness) had a large bump... that was a worm.


I screamed and threw it. Yes, I totally did. One bite later, I got rid of the yummy apple I was consuming- both my first and last.


LMC had a great time picking apples and hiding amongst the trees with her friends. We learned that Pink Ladies were the best, so those were the only thing we picked.


LMC and JF- who usually knock heads- decided it would be more fun to share, hug and be pals.


I don't like apples. I like apple juice, apple sauce, apple pie, apple cider, apple brown betty, apple bake, apple cobbler, apple pork tenderloin, curried apple soup... but plain ole' apples? Nope. Not for me. Before leaving on our apple adventure, I googled apple recipes. Today (probably more like tomorrow) commences the week of apple cooking. So as not to be wasteful.


I found a little nest for little birds... no eggs, though.


After the apples, LMC and I headed over to the pumpkins. I told her to pick out a pumpkin she could carry and we would buy it.


She started with a green one...


After three of those she moved on to the butternut squash (that looked nothing like the b'nut squash that I am familiar with and much more like a ... um... body part of someone very well endowed and not at all Jewish.  (hence the cropping of the picture below)


Three green pumpkins, two butternut squashes (that she called tay-toes and Husband called something else) and one orange pumpkin, we loaded up our wheelbarrow and headed to the car to stow our treasures before heading out on a hayride.


These three kids, literally, rolled in the hay.

Threw the hay.

Pushed the hay out of the wagon. 

And did all things that all toddlers and kids do in hay-- made a general mess.


These two kids-- they have my heart when they are together. An-Ew, ever the protector, and LMC ever the doter. They are just ... funny...




The hayride took us to the pumpkin patch. We opted not to get out, rather to let the kids continue to make a mess in the hay as we constantly said, "Wait! No throwing the hay..." as they threw the hay.



LMC found her queen's throne at the back of the wagon. A bale of hay made the perfect place for her to hold court.


After growing weary of tossing the hay, hiding under the hay, and making hay stacks... she discovered kicking the hay and dancing in the hay. No music required.


And then she took another roll in the hay...


Before she got hay in her eyes. And discovered why we should not throw hay, or throw hay on Baby J.


After the hay ride, she showed the boys a thing or two about being on a farm. She watered the pigs.


Before the best buds took off on a run and we called it a day.


Apple Pickin' -- Total success!

Comments

Julie said…
Beautiful pictures of the apples and the kiddoes! I am so glad An- ew and JF have such a good pal to go places with! Eileen is precious!
Ahhh! Love these photos! And I love apple picking! How fun! :)
I love the fall!
Anonymous said…
I couldnt have said it any better to be honest! keep up the awesome work. You are very talented & I only wish I could write as good as you do :) …
PS.
That pink North Face is adorable!