Tuesday, September 18, 2012

GD be damned!

Okay, so maybe I should have a better title that does not involve profanity. But, seriously! NO gd-GD!

Who is your daddy?

I was at lunch with a friend, what we were calling my farewell lunch as I had already determined that I would have diabetes by the end of the day.

The phone rang.

It was the doctor.

I pick it up with a, "I have diabetes, don't I?"
"Excuse me? Is this Mrs. Cagle?"
I sigh... "Yes, this is Mrs. Cagle. I have diabetes, don't I? You can tell me. I can handle it."
"Actually, no. You don't."
"SHUT! UP! Seriously?"
"Seriously. No diabetes."
"Are you sure?"
"Yep. You're in the clear."

I high-five Alice. She is looking at me while the lobsters crawl out of my ears with a question on her face. I am doing a little shimmy shake dance in my chair. The waitress passes a glance my way.

Talking to the nurse and for Alice's benefit, I say, "So- you're certain. I do NOT have gestational diabetes?"

"We're certain."

"Schwing! That's awesome. Who's your daddy?"
"Mine is Bill."
"Hah! That's awesome. And guess what? I don't have diabetes! Thanks, dude! See y'all next week."

Another high five to Alice.

I squeaked by with [a good fasting number], two passes and a fail by one point- but a squeak is a squeak. And I squeaked.

It counts.

I squeaked with glee at the news. And we celebrated with a piece of Key Lime Pie and two forks.

Stick it, gd-GD!

1 comment:

Jessica C said...

Woohoo! Way to kick diabetes in the behind! Wanna go get ice cream?