Sunday, August 26, 2012

Some things I love

I love history.
...and cooking.
...and cookbooks.
I love old things.
...and old pots and pans.
...and I adore old silver patterns.

I hate antique wedding clothes.
...they give me the willies. (When I was getting married- a second cousin twice removed brought over the "Merry family dresses" -while beautiful- I had to try them on and my skin was positively crawling up and down at the site of the one from the early 1800s. That being said, I did get to try on the wedding skirt of [name escapes me] who married the governor of South Carolina when he was in office. While cool, I still got a little heebie jeebie and felt a lot like Ralphie in the pink bunny suit. Now, the custom silk number from Saks in New York that was about 100-130 years old with long sleeves and just a touch too small-- that one, I could have handled... had I been able to get it around something other than my left thigh.)
I hate old baby carriages.
...you thought wedding clothes gave me the willies? You should see me when I see an antique carriage. I positively freak and will walk all the way around the room to avoid going near it.
I hate old hearses.
...but nearly as much as I hate heirloom carriages.

I love old wedding photos. Don't care if I don't who's in it. Just love admiring them and wondering who they become.

I love old textbooks. Especially with notes scribbled along the edges. Especially when homework is written down along the side with a reminder to call Jack about the pledge football game on Tuesday.

But, I love old cookbooks and recipes- especially when they are "receipts" instead of recipes. That, to me, is just quaint and adorable. Somehow, a picture forms of a bitty sitting in her kitchen writing the recipe of a friend... only to remember that she needs to head to the "market" to pick up... oleo. (WTH is Oleo?!)

It is with this in mind that a few (several... okay, a bunch of!) weeks ago, I called that darling FIL of mine and asked what would become of Miss Lucile's recipes. Known for her cooking, her handwriting, her love, and all things southern... where would those boxes upon boxes of her handwritten recipe cards disappear off to?

He said he had them... I asked if I could borrow them- and I'm serious about the borrowing. In some families, like mine- those cards carry more value than gold. MIL sent a large handful and I have been taking my time to study them, scan them into my computer and bind them into a book for all the family to love and share.



1 comment:

Lauren said...

My Nana's handwritten "receipts" are so precious to me, as well. There's nothing like a spidery-scripted list of ingredients, lifelong-cook-shorthand instructions, all spattered and crisp from drops of melted Oleo with cocoa powder dusted on top of it.

And Oleo is Crisco, shortening, lard, what-have-you, btw. :)