Be still my beating heart

Y'all.

Just stop what you are doing.

Right. Now.

Be prepared to start drooling and check this out:




Bon Appétit inspired this girl to get a little crafty in the kitchen today. And by kitchen- I mean patio. And by patio- I mean rooftop. And by rooftop- I mean grill. And by me- I mean Husband. I prepped- he cooked.

Get this- do you know how easy it is to make grilled flatbread? Seriously? DO YOU?!

Dazzle your friends. Impress your husband- hell, impress your wife. Husband and Wife are about to embark on a whole series of flatbread adventures. With the easiest recipe, ever. Period.

So, step back. Grab your flour. Get ready.

Flatbread
- sent from the Gods to all hostesses that like to casually impress and say things like, "Oh? This? This was nothing." -

4 cups AP flour, divided
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 tbsp olive oil/EVOO

Yep. That's it. 

Start by making a sponge (I sound fancy, right?) -- proof the yeast in the water for about five minutes in a large bowl with a sprinkle of sugar. Add 2 cups of the flour and stir to combine. Cover with a towel and walk away.

At least an hour later, come back to your sponge and place in the ever useful Kitchenaid bowl with the dough hook attached. Add the salt and olive oil. Allowing the mixer to do the hard work, add the flour a half cup at the time until combined. Roll out onto the counter and knead into a dough. Toss in a bowl and let rise for about 2 to 2.5 hours. 

Come back to the little nugget sent from Heaven and divide into 3-6 smaller balls. Let rest for another 30 minutes.

Brush the counter with olive oil and roll the dough out to 1/2 - 1/4 inch thickness, brushing both sides with olive oil. 

Get the grill piping hot-- maybe 350-400. Grease grill grates and, if you are feeling froggy or nervous (like I was), brush on more olive oil on the bread. Using your fingers, place on the grates and close the lid. 

Timer on! 3 minutes later- flip with tongs. Timer on! 3 more minutes. Remove and devour.

You're welcome.

As Dorothy would say, "Do write and speak of your mistakes."

Comments

Wow!! That does sound easy!!! I think maybe even I could try it!!! :)