Catching her in the act

Since being pregnant, I've had to give up a bunch... sushi and wine are at the top of my list. I've also lost my late night abilities, the non-crankies, and other things that just go in the box of pregnancy.

Giving up has also caused me to give up giving up gluten. The idea of a GF bread sandwich just sounds... nauseating. And, I miss cheez-its. I really missed those crackers that were made for the gods. 

And sub sandwiches from Publix. Man, I have missed those.

Banana bread is one of those things that I love. Not just love, but Le Love. As does Husband. As does LMC.

My face hates me- what with the sunscreen, sun, gluten, and pregnancy. It's red and I'm more susceptible to have a heat wave (where my face turns purple) But, my taste buds are saying, "SWEET JESUS! Where have you been?!" I can live with the not so beautiful face. I can't live without sandwiches.

Today, I was getting some work done on my computer and was able to "secretly" catch LMC in the act of her thievery. So in killing two birds with one stone- allow me to post the evidence of my princess and her banana bread heist. 


Step one... find her pink stool. Step two... make sure mom's not looking, or at least not getting her camera.


Step three... make sure that's banana bread in there and not something terrible, like broccoli. Step four... double check that mom's busy.


Step five... open the bag. Step six... pull.


Step seven... show mom your hard work and sweet reward.




Banana Bread a la Gluten

3 ripe bananas
2 large eggs
1 3/4 cups AP flour
1 1/2 cups sugar (yes, that's a lot. I'm too afraid to cut back)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 + buttermilk (I pour a 1/4 plus an extra splash. Buttermilk substitute is acceptable here- milk and vinegar. Original recipe calls for 1/4 c. + 1 tbsp buttermilk. Such an odd amount.)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 325. Grease 9x5x3 metal loaf pan. Whisk bananas and eggs in large bowl to mix well. Add remaining ingredients and stir well. transfer batter to prepared pan.

Bake bread until top is golden brown and splits- my oven is exactly one hour and twenty minutes and not a minute more. Cool in pan on rack for an additional 20 minutes. Run a knife along the outside of the bread and remove.


As Dorothy would say, "Do write and speak of your mistakes."


Comments