Monday, March 19, 2012

I miss Cheez-Its

I survived a summer on Cheez-its and chocolate chip cookies before I was married. It was thinnest I had ever been in my entire life.

But, I miss cheez-its. My grandparents always had them in the pantry by the fridge. My buddy, Tractor, and I would keep them in the condo when we had no money. It was our saving grace. But the dang things are not gluten free.

Until Now.


Gluten Free Crunchy Cheese Crackers
... so easy... LMC helped! 

I swiped this recipe (and adapted) from a different blog and can't find it now to give it props. My apologies. 

5 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded
4 tbsp. butter
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. xanthan gum (it ain't cheap, so get ready)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 tbsp. milk

Preheat oven to 400. Lightly grease a baking sheet.

Combine all ingredients, except the milk, in a medium bowl. Mix until the mixture resembles a fine crumb. I had all my ingredients at room temp and this helped. Also, I covered my mixer with a flour sack towel and that saved me from a mess.

Add the milk and beat the stew out of it.

Sprinkle cornstarch on the counter and pat/roll the dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into shapes of your choice (LMC and I made starts and little men before we got lazy and started cutting squares). Prick the tops with a fork or toothpick and sprinkle generously with salt. That's what makes them taste more like cheez-its.

The recipe I saw said for them to cook for 10 minutes. I had more luck with 12 minutes. For those last 2 minutes, the oven was preheating to 425.

The thicker crackers (lazy and didn't feel like rolling out the last little bit) taste like the cheese straws that mama gets from the cheese straw lady who delivers them to the old biddies all over town and the thinner ones taste like the cracker I have had a love affair with my whole life.

As Dorothy would say, "Do write and speak of your mistakes."



No comments: