I don't want to look like an idiot

I googled how to spell the dish that my grandfather used to make as a special treat... no avail. It is pronounced bross-o-lini, but googling "brossolini" procures "Did you mean broccolini?" NO. I am looking for the fried veal scallopini recipe that my grandparents used to make and everyone received one taste. I do not even want your recipe- I want the proper spelling.


No such luck.
Here I am, recipe in hand, and not a clue as to how to spell it. 
Just because the spelling might be off, does not mean that the taste is. Here it is-- Brossolini, adapted for the gluten free me.




1 pound veal scallopini
1 lemon, quartered
GF flour for breading (or, not GF flour if you are not like me- the recipe does not change)
salt and pepper
olive oil, for frying


On a large cutting board, separate the veal scallopini pieces. If they are not thin enough (we’re talking like 1/8 inch thickness), than get your frustrations out with a meat tenderizer. Cut into smaller pieces, the size of large chicken fingers- this will make it easier for cooking. 


The road divides: 
  • If you are my grandfather: 

Pat meat with the flat side of the knife. I don’t know why he did this, but he did it every single time. So, pay a little homage to the man who raised five children and pat the veal. Sprinkle with lemon juice on both sides and make sure the meat is covered with the juice, you will need to get your fingers into this at this point. Going three to four at a time, dredge the veal pieces in the flour. Evacuate to a cooling rack. If doing this GF, wait 15 minutes before sprinkling with lemon juice again and redredging. If not doing this GF- single breading is all he did.

  • If you are my grandmother: 
Place meat in a milk and egg mixture for about an hour in the fridge. Extract and sprinkle with lemon juice before breading with a cracker meal. Place on a cooling rack before dipping back in the milk/egg mixture and double bread.

The road connects:

In a large frying pan, add enough olive oil (yes, olive oil- not wesson, not peanut, we want plain old olive oil) to completely coat the bottom of the pan and come up the side a smidgen. The veal should have been the first tip off that this was not a cheap recipe. 



When the oil is hot, continue to work in batches of 3-4, so as not to crowd the pan and not to cool the oil too much. Cook 3 minutes a side and place on paper towels to cool. Immediately sprinkle with salt and pepper. 


If the pieces are sticking to the bottom, then they are not cooked all the way. Try again every 10-15 seconds until they easily pop off. 


I don't know if my grandfather is patting himself on the back right now that I am sharing his secret recipe or rolling over in his grave because - you should never tell your friends your secrets so you won't fear them when they are your enemies.

Comments

Jenny said…
Your food pics look great - especially the frying pan ones!
Jenny said…
Your food pics look great - especially the frying pan ones!
Anonymous said…
Yummy! From your instructions, it sounds like the standard veal scallopini I make. Sometimes add some white wine and/or mushrooms to the pan. --nb