Thursday, December 22, 2011

Revealing my secrets

My grandfather taught me how to make sausage balls when I was running around barefoot. At tea parties with my dolls, I would serve them.


With Christmas around the corner, sausage balls were on today's docket before LMC & I headed out to see the trains at the botanical gardens


Sausage Balls are the one thing that I am constantly trying something different with--


grated onion, no grated onion, dash of Tabasco, a little more Tabasco, garlic powder, rolling in parmesan cheese before cooking, and any combination therein. These have been stored in the fridge, on top of the fridge, on the counter & in any passer-bys tummy. 


I even mess with the name, sometimes they are called Sausage Balls, Sausage Tartlets, Cheesy Goodness, and even just plain Sausage-Cheese things. For LMC, they get all sorts of names- depending on what her obsession is at the moment. Mostly, she just calls them "MORE?"



Aren't they lovely? I have been experimenting with the "food" setting on my camera & it brings out more of the oranges- which I am not crazy about, but the aperture sure is cool. I have already started looking around at things I can snap for my one-a-day blog starting January 1.

Sausage Balls, compliments of my Grandfather & adapted for the gluten free me.

1 pound of sausage (I love mixing hot & mild), fried and drained
About 2 cups of shredded sharp cheese (more if you are a cheese lover... like I am)
1 1/2 cups Pamela's Products bread mix
2 eggs

(if GF does not sound appealing to you, then go with 1 cup of Bisquick and 1 egg)

combine everything and roll into large walnut size balls. Cook at 350 for about 15 minutes. Remove and flip over on pan to cool off so the bottom does not burn.

Just a note-- PPBM makes these a little sweeter, so next time I will use just the hot sausage.


There was enough goody left over to make a small loaf of bread, which is always good on these very cold mornings. Well, not this morning- the high was 63 today. But, it was still yummy.

Sausage-Cheese bread

There was about a cup left of the above mixture. I added 1/3 cup of milk, 3/4 cup of Pamela's Products Bread mix, and a third egg. 
Mixed and poured into a well-lubed small loaf pan. 
LET IT SIT FOR AT LEAST 15 MINUTES before sprinkling with some shredded cheese. 
Bake at 375 for 20-30 minutes.

1 comment:

jenn said...

Yours look yummy! However, to be true to Bigdad's recipe - no eggs!! Also, walnuts are way too big! Millie rolled her balls with about a tea spoon (not a teaspoon, but...) worth of dough, so they were only about the size of nickel. The cheese olive balls are a little bigger, but still nowhere close to walnut sized! Glad to hear I'm not the only Brennan celebrating with the old recipes! Tomorrow morning, I'm doing Bigdad's pound cake and Nick's carrot cake! We're already nibbling on sausage balls and cheese straws!