Saturday, October 8, 2011

Holly's House

Say hi to Holly:


Holly and I are Kappas- Kentucky & UGA. Holly was our traveling consultant and by far, my favorite. So much so, I used precious funds to not only purchase an extra picture from Picture Man (a ridiculous $3.50), but to track her down & MAIL her the picture. This was from Halloween, 2001- Kalling All Kappas with Kappa Sigma, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Kappa Alpha Theta, Kappa Alpha, Kappa Delta... and some others, but my brain has been out of Greek mode for too long.

Holly was down to earth, laid back, and just... fun. She laughed at late night rendezvouses of Easy Mac & had all kinds of funny stories, not to mention an encyclopedia of KKG knowledge, that I thought was really cool. 

This picture was taken over four years after her boyfriend was murdered in front of her. She was then brutally raped and left for dead. 

Didn't see that one coming, did you? 

Neither did we. Normally traveling consultants would lecture us about partying too much-- but we had the highest GPA out of any KKG chapter-- so it was hard to listen. Normally traveling consultants are incredibly dry, have the wit of a dead flower, and are not much fun. 

Normally.

Holly was so energetic, so entertaining, so down to earth, and just so *normal* that we, as a chapter, took to her and contrary to past TC's- welcomed her to socials, parties, and dinners, completely unbeknownst to her story until later. 



This is me saying how proud I am to know this wonderful woman and know her story. This is me saying that survival is in anyone- Holly stared the devil in the face and lived to tell her story, lived to thrive, and lived to see him punish for his awful deeds.

It was surreal; several weeks ago I was going to bed at my parents house and trying to find something to watch on the internet. 48 Hours Mystery is always a last choice favorite. Within 30 seconds of the latest episode, Holly's face popped up on my computer as if we were on Skype. I jumped back and slammed the computer shut. I knew the story, I knew the tragedy, I did not need to hear it again- but I did want to hear from Holly.

Google led me to her email & her email led me to reconnect with her, years later. Holly is an inspiration and a living messenger from God. This world is a better place because of people like Holly.

If you have 41 minutes- it is worth your time.


If you have extra and want to give- it is worth it.

No comments: