Monday, January 3, 2011

A little research...

So, some of these names have struck me that we visited yesterday...

Remember Lt. Mitchell? The one who wanted the juice? Well... it turns out...

http://www.mitchellfoundation.org/biography.html

He's kinda a big deal...

Oh, and those codes that looked a little crazy?
Well... that guy is a great American...
LM & 2 OLC means Legion of Merit & 2 Oak Leaf Crests
BSM & 3 OLC means Bronze Star & 3 Oak Leaf Crests (or clusters, I can't remember)
AM & 19 OLC means Award of Merit & 19 OLC!

I tip my hat to him and his patriotism.

Charlotte? The woman I want to be like-- beautiful, kind, and beloved? She christened the USS Grampus. Her husband served in the navy for five wars... not five years, five WARS totaling fifty years and sixth months. When he retired, his speech to Annapolis concluded with, "The first fifty years were the hardest."

hah. I want to learn more about the woman behind the man, but we all have to start somewhere.

More as I have more time...

No comments: