Thursday, October 28, 2010

Cornbread

I can’t believe this... I have made the best better! The recipe for cornbread I have comes from a small diner back when they were allowed to share recipes. While it has always served its purpose-- being both bread and made of corn, it never, well, it never just blew my doors off and no one ever said, “THAT! That, my dear, is the best damn cornbread ever!”
Until today. Today, they shouted from the rooftops, "The best cornbread is found at Senate Square! The best cornbread is in the Cagles kitchen!"
Might I share with you my new and improved recipe for cornbread. Just don’t tell anybody. My grandfather always said, “Don’t tell your friends your secrets, so you won’t fear them when they are enemies....”
So, Super Secret Cornbread.... 
1 cup, sifted, AP flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup self rising cornmeal (I don’t know if this is a common thing, but it was all the store had)
1 cup milk (if doubling, do 1.5 cups)
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup Wesson “Best Blend” oil
1/2 cup sour cream
Mis all until just combined and pour into a greased cast iron skillet. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.
Give it a shot. And then shoot the lights out, because, WOW... I am probably talking this up to much and you’re going to hate it. That's okay, I love it and it is not even out of the oven yet.


--update-- While excellent, I forgot to put in the 1 tsp. of salt... so, I will try that next time and be totally prepared to be blown away.

1 comment:

Family Snodgrass said...

I like to put corn kernels in my cornbread!