Thursday, December 3, 2009

Homeward Bound

Jimmy Buffett has this great song, Nautical Wheeler. I am a recent fan, admitting that my knowledge of music is not as vast as my movie quoting abilities. There is a line, “The left foot’ll follow where the right foot has traveled,” and that is where we are right now.

The left foot will be following the right foot soon. Soon, we will pack up our little home at 2635 and this farm boy and Georgia girl will get a dose of something outside of the Savannah River, the arches of Athens, and the town square of South Georgia.

His first pick for college- his only application- was to the University of Georgia. Husband did not believe in silly things like “safety schools.”

His first pick for medical school- his only application- was The Medical College of Georgia. He said that if he could not get the best in the southeast- he would just find something else to do with his life’s dream.

His first pick for a wife- this lovely girl- said yes.

His first pick for residency- his first time submitting more than one application- was The Children’s Medical Center, the best in the southeast; top in the nation.

And now, his first pick for fellowship- the second time submitting more than one application- is Children’s National, in Washington, D.C., top three in PICU fellowships across the country.

Who is my husband? My husband builds boats, plays the guitar, and sings to our sweet Eileen. Who is my husband? My husband has committed himself to taking care of the sickest of the sick kids and I have committed myself to taking care of him and our family. Our home will always be here in quaint Augusta- our roots were entwined in the Savannah River clay without even noticing.

But, for the time being, home is where the heart is and my heart is with Will.

DC BOUND!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

So happy for you guys! :)

Aleasha said...

Beautifully written! We are so excited for you guys!!!