Thursday, December 17, 2009

Baby Food

Have I mentioned yet that I am making my own baby food? I am not green. I am not holistic. I am not one with nature. I do not eat granola. Our house has zero feng sheu. I am, however, extremely cheap.

Frugal. Tight. Thrifty. Whatever you call it—I clipped coupons before it was cool (from my parents newspaper) and long after we have made our millions, I will continue to ask the cashier for the family discount or what the “cash” price will be. I’m a haggler and proud of it. My father would be so proud.

Thriftsters and Super Moms Alert! Moucho money can be saved by making baby food. Proudly, once a week my little Gerber sweat shop goes to work. I chop, steam, puree, and pour veggies into baby containers. These are things that I do not eat myself (healthy is not how I would describe my eating habits), but baby girl screams if we do not shovel these yummy treats into her mouth at a scary fast pace.

Eileen eats. She is still hanging on to the growth curve with all that she has, but she eats. It is silly to think, but a $.50 container of baby food can be made for mere pennies when it comes to carrots, squash, zucchini, and sweet taters and less than a quarter for peaches and mangoes.

Oh! The colors! What a silly thing to notice, but the colors are so vibrant of homemade baby food- brilliant oranges, bright lime greens, Georgia clay reds and the prettiest yellows line my freezer walls with little tags that say things like “sweet taters,” “carrots-puree longer,” “zoo-ke-ney,” and “sweet peas for my sweet pea.” She likes those the least, sweet peas.

I pinch my pennies where I can… with my $150 Williams-Sonoma baby food maker…Hey, I said I pinched pennies, I did not say I stashed dollars.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I meant to comment on this ages ago - I've made all of our baby food so far too. :) Hubby was skeptical at first, until I sat down with my produce-only receipt, and did a math breakdown of how many meals we would get out of the final number of food cubes in the freezer, and compared it to a math breakdown of how much that many meals would have cost with even the cheapest store-bought baby food.

Then he smiled, and started telling everyone about it.

Much like what happened with cloth diapers, actually. ;)

We really liked it with LL because she wasn't ready to eat until she was much older, and by then she had some teeth, so I just used my slap-chopper thing to make things lumpy-mushy instead of pureeing everything. And it makes the transition to table food SO easy for them, and you!

WTG, penny pincher!! ;)