Friday, May 29, 2009

What a Difference a Day Makes.




Bring it.

I have said it 100 times, and I will say it 100 more.

Pregnancy is not for sissies.

I have a small addage.

Labor is not for sissies.
Delivery is not for sissies.

That being said, labor and delivery should be something you do for and with someone you love. I learned a few things about the Cagles during our long forty three hour process to bring Eileen into this world.

We are better as a team than we are as individuals. Where I lacked strength to continue on after the magnesium zapped my energy and the epidural ran out (more than once), it took Husband telling me to press on to know that I could do it.

When the plan changes, the Cagles can change with the plan. We did not plan on giving birth Tuesday, May 26-- but we adapted. When Tuesday came and went without Eileen, we came and went with it. Two hours of pushing for a "normal" delivery (that "V" word gets used a little too much on this wing) proved that would not be part of our plan. 2am Wednesday morning found one Cagle being wheeled to the OR and the other Cagle getting dressed in OR garb to be with his wife. Having a C-section was not in "the plan" but plans change. Eileen was literally "fished out" at 2:47am on Wednesday morning, after a 43 hour process that started with plans of going home on Thursday and attending a wedding on Saturday, instead of having a 12 hour old on Thursday & getting discharged on Saturday.

Husband has felt the last two years have been wonderful, but also sort of a "waiting room" to life. Having Eileen come along not only gives her roots but gives us roots, too. Not to this address, not to this plan, but to each other.

Tomorrow, we pull the new car around to the entrance at MCG and put Eileen in the new carseat. We will take her to a place we have been preparing for her for the last 8 months and 2 weeks. She will be coming home to what we have been building for the last two years.

Will made me a wife.
I made him a husband.
She made us parents.

Such is our family, The Cagles.

3 comments:

Erica said...

She is beautiful! How much did she weigh? Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful little girl! Congratulations to all; and yes, the wine is uncorked.

Aleasha said...

She is beautiful! I am so glad that you have blogged all of this. I wish I would have started a blog when Ava was first born. I know there are so many things I have already forgotten.